Tuesday, May 4, 2010

... and that's this weeks dilemma.

You ready...?

So this week I am not only struggling to put together two massive (I'm talking obese) assignments, while also trying to remain sane. I am also facing a big decision to make regarding my next semester of work. Yes I have enrolled and yes I am studying next semester, but I have been given an opportunity to opt out on ALL the assessment for one subject and do something else. More on that later.

My week started with my credit card being declined. Twice. I was trying to purchase a camera so that you lovely folk can see what it is I get up to. I've not had a camera since February sometime. For those that know me, you know how hard it has been for me. It's been hell not being able to document my first year living out of Brisbane. But I just received an email saying that my order has been dispatched... apparently it worked after I told them to just keep trying. Camera... on it's way!! Woot.

Then my week progressed into the slow and self-deprecating phase of assignment doom. Yes that's right, I've eaten some kind of junk food everyday this week, and despite my best efforts can still not seem to study after 6pm. My assignments are for English and for Classroom Management. English is the assignment made of death. It is a lesson plan (comprising 4-5 lessons) that I would use to teach year 8s about how to write a short story. I have already done the how-to-read assignment. Death. It is pure death. Not only do I have to make sure that everything I would need for the lessons (handouts, worksheets, resources of any kind) are attached, I also have to create an assessment piece based on the WA curriculum and write a marking key for it. I am still struggling with the WA curriculum, they work on levels. So if a student is in year 8 they should technically be working at a level 3. But if they aren't you need to tailor your teaching towards a lower/higher level. Confusing right?
Classroom Management on the other hand is fun and interesting to do as I have to form my personal philosophy, and how I would put it into practice. But apparently people at ECU don't do their assignments last minute, and any book I would ever find useful is out. Also ECU library is about the size of the Indooroopilly state library, for anyone who knows. Helpful. Kill me now.

On some kind of positive note, I start my new job this week. I will from now on be known as Captain Starlight. But don't tell the kids who I am. I am excited, and as soon as I have my uniform (and camera) I will post amazing photos!

On top of all these things is this decision. Maybe it wont seem that big to you, but it does to me. I have been given an opportunity to assistant direct The Cherry Orchard (the Mamet translation) for the Drama department at uni (Not WAAPA). I would be working with my Drama lecturer, whom I am not particularly fond of for various reasons. It would start just before the July  holidays while I am on prac and the performance is then in October, also while I am on prac. The upside of this offer is that if I do take it on, I will be assessed on my work with the show, and will not have to do any of the assessment for Drama for semester two. The downside is the time commitment that I would need to put in. I will have to do some work on it while I am on prac, not too much though. I will however have to work it in around working and assignment doom of second semester. This is a tough decision for me, as my creative bones are aching to be used while my academic bones are being overused. What do you think?

It seems I have blabbed about my pathetic little life for long enough now.

Thanks for listening.

E x

No comments:

Post a Comment