Tuesday, January 25, 2011

... and that's 2010 into 2011

2010 was a really good year. It was hard, and it was definitely challenging, but it was also fun and rewarding too. The goals I set for myself for 2010 were simple, and almost mundane. They fit into the life I was creating for myself, and while I struggled to complete some of the goals, others I had no problem with at all. 


In 2010 I had hoped to:
pass university

Yes! First semester was a struggle after never having done full time university, but by second semester I seemed to hit my stride, and I managed to graduate with a two High Distinctions, and an overall Distinction average (stupid English bringing me down). I graduated the other day, and I am very very proud to tell you that I am now a qualified Drama and English teacher. How's that for a career making year? 

get a paid teaching job

I am still yet to find that elusive teaching job. Having said this I have had nothing but positive experiences during the application/interview process. I'm still hopeful. 

survive the first few months in Perth

While I did survive the first few months in Perth, I did hit a very deep funk in about May. It was a tough month, and I missed home more than anything. But I survived, and am typing this from my Perth home. 

have a happy living environment

Indeed... except when the unspoken "No I wont wash the dishes" monster reared it's head. 

support my Brisbane friends and their endeavours in any way I can

I don't know, you would have to ask them. I tried to be a supportive as I could be from so far away. 

get my first tattoo

Incorrect. I am still a chicken, and this is going on my 2011 list. 

buy a manual focus digital camera

It is not manual focus, but I definitely upgraded from the pocket sized bullet that was my last camera. 

hunt for that vintage dress

Admittedly I did buy a few vintage dresses, and a vintage onesie, but none were designer. I have come to the conclusion that I am of the body shape that will not fit anything designer vintage or otherwise. I'm cool with it. 


***


2011 has started off on uncertain footing, with my home city being drowned, and the emotional toll of being legitimately poor taking it's toll. I know the things that I want to achieve this year, and they are no more important than any other year, and no less achievable. I must admit that I never look back at any of the goals I have set. I set them in order to lay out what I would like my year to be. All are attainable, and all are things I would like to accomplish in my life, it just so happens that they fit within this year of my life. With this said, my 2011 goals are as follows. 


  • Get a teaching job. Relief or otherwise
  • Downsize my wardrobe and donate what I don't need
  • Don't be a chicken and get the tattoo
  • Pay back my parents
  • Bring back the spice to my relationship
  • Cook more creatively
  • Swear less
  • Strengthen my friendships in Perth so they are as everlasting as the memories will be
  • Sing in front of the "scary" WAAPA students
  • Be a proud girlfriend in the front row of every show
  • Relax into a sense of style
  • Maintain the red
I like that I am now a teacher, and I like that I live with my man friend and it is no different to how it was before. I like that I reorganised the living room all by myself, I like that I can start really relaxing into who I am and discover who I am going to be. I like that I am 25, and I like that I still have so much ahead of me. 

E x

No comments:

Post a Comment